Manifesto to Solve Obesity
- Current proposed solutions are piecemeal; nothing has proven effective in reducing the level of obesity and diabetes.
- Foods are now discriminated against. Those declared "bad" are under attack for contributing to the health crisis.
- Industry is accused of harming its customers.
- Industry has the right - and necessity - to make a profit, and is under attack for doing so.
- Most tactics employed insist on the consumer changing his/her behavior. This has proven ineffective, as witnessed by the inability to stay on diet plans.
- The consumer is not making the necessary changes to improve their eating habits.
- Government is increasingly involved in conjuring up solutions to the obesity problem with counterproductive results. Their approach is piecemeal - not holistic - and focuses on the symptoms and not the problem itself
- Activists are pushing anti-capitalist and an Orwellian food agenda to eradicate "bad" foods
- In regard to the Food Industry:
- Industry is the only constituent capable of effectively solving the obesity crisis
- Industry shall take Stewardship for its customers’ health & well-being
- Industry is entitled to profits, but shall Make Money Responsibly
- Amnesty shall be granted to all foods & beverages declared “bad” by Activists and Government agencies
- There are no “bad” foods & beverages, only inappropriate marketing executions, formats and presentations
- Industry shall address all inappropriate executions, formats and presentations of “bad” foods in caring for their customer’s well-being
- Only by taking action on the most popular foods & beverages will any progress be made
- Improving the nutritional composition while compromising taste will not solve the problem
- In regard to Government:
- Government involvement shall be limited to the setting of Overall Guidelines, not the execution of how food nutritional issues are to be addressed
- Industry is to determine the best way to address the Government Guidelines
- Banning, taxing and other means of penalizing the consumption of foods & beverages is prohibited
- The State shall communicate in a clear and understandable fashion to properly inform consumers about healthier eating
- As a result of #4, the Food Pyramid shall be terminated immediately and replaced by a simpler tool informing How, When and Where foods should be consumed
- The use of the term “Serving Size” shall be relegated to countries still using the metric system
- In regard to Food Activists:
- Activists shall not engage in activities and wonton litigation to eradicate self-condemned foods enjoyed by the public
- Activists shall forward constructive and workable solutions
- Activists shall accept that the United States is a Capitalist society
- In regard to Scientists & Researchers:
- Timely, practical and non-conflicting information shall be provided for Industry’s use so that actionable solutions can be achieved
- In regard to Consumers:
- Consumers shall have the freedom to pursue enjoyable eating without Government or Activist interference
- Consumers shall have the right to expect foods to not have a deleterious effect on their health
- Consumers shall have the duty to Eat Responsibly
Print this page